Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Interview with DiAnn Mills

Award-winning author DiAnn Mills has over forty books in print that have sold more than one and a half million copies. She was a finalist for the 2008 Christy Award for her novel Lightning and Lace. Six of her anthologies have appeared on the CBA Bestseller List. Five or her books have won placements through ACFW’s Book of the Year Awards 2003-2007. She was also the recipient of the Inspirational Reader’s Choice award for 2005 and 2007. DiAnn and her husband have four adult sons and live in Houston, Texas.


Tell us about A Woman Called Sage:

She’s lost everything she loved. Now, Sage Morrow is a Colorado bounty hunter determined to track down and bring killers to justice…and it’s personal. When the tables are turned, will Sage become the one who is hunted? Who can she trust? Only one man can reach her heart, but will she let him in?

That’s what the websites say . . .
Sage Morrow is one brave lady to go after the killers of her husband and baby. As a bounty hunter, she’s earned the reputation of “bringing in her man.” But what happens when she learns the hunted are after her?

Marshal Parker Timmons has a future in politics, but first he needs to ensure his town is safe from outlaws. Working with a woman doesn’t appeal to him, but when he gets to know Sage, a deep admiration takes root in his heart.

What was the ‘what if’ that inspired this story?
What if a woman was a bounty hunter, and what if she was part Indian. How would she handle the prejudices? And what if she had a tragic past?

How did you set out to make the setting so tangible? Did you spend long cold nights by a campfire in the Rocky Mountains?
My husband and I love the Rocky Mountain National Park. We’ve spent many a vacation hiking and driving through the park. I used our favorite spots in the book. My husband took over 300 pictures. :)

In most of your Historical Romances there is a strong woman with a gun in hand, how is your aim?
LOL. That’s a good one. My aim is not good. Guns scare me. However, I do like a strong woman who is not afraid to get a job done.

What did God teach you through writing this book?
That He has a specific type of book for me to write - a bit edgy to reach those women who may not have led a pristine life.

What is the most difficult part of writing for you? Developing characters, plot, or researching?
Hmm. I’ve had to think about this. I think typing the first sentence. Every time I start a new project, I wonder if I can do this again. Can I write a novel with characters and plot that will wow the readers.

How do you overcome them?
Pray! And simply begin.

What does your typical writing day look like?
I’m so disciplined and scheduled that I’m disgusting. :)
I’m up early and I don’t stop until my word count for the day is complete.
Responding to email is important, but I try use a designated time for that.
At least a third of my day is spent reading writing student’s work and making suggestions and teaching.

What are you reading?
Pirate Hunter by Tom Morrisey
Jesus Wants to Save Christians - Rob Bell

What book or books inspired you to say “I want to be a writer”?
Little Women, Jo’s Boys, Memoirs of a London Doll, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon . . .

With over forty books in print that have sold more than one and a half million copies, and several awards to your name, what have been the keys to your success?
Actually I don’t know! Perhaps diligence to craft and the desire to help and teach other writers.

What advice do you have for unpublished writers?
1. Write everyday
2. Read in the genre you desire to publish in
3. Read the how-to books - more than once
4. Attend writing conferences
5. Pray about your writing career

With Sworn to Protect and A Woman Called Sage in stores now, what unexpected adventure will be next for DiAnn Mills?
Pursuit of Justice - third book in the Call of Duty Series will be released in October
The Fire in Ember - sequel to A Woman Called Sage will be released in January

Thanks, DiAnn, for the encouragement and words of wisdom. We look forward to watching your career continue to grow. Check out more of DiAnn's books at www.diannmills.com

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment